Finding Jessica

trying to reach that essential plateau of hopeless wonderment associated with achieving the ultimate inspiration...

So, lets take a quick and easy definition from Wikipedia for these nasty little things: "a type of mouth ulcer, appears as a painful open sore inside the mouth[1] or upper throat characterized by a break in the mucous membrane. Its cause is unknown, but they are not contagious.[2] The condition is also known as aphthous stomatitis, and alternatively as Sutton's Disease, especially in the case of major, multiple, or recurring ulcers."

What does this mean for me??? Someone who's had them since at least a few years before braces (got those in FIFTH GRADE) and am lucky to be ulcer free for a whole month?

Well, when I can't remember the best way to drink out of a can without hurting my tongue, lips, throat, mouth, and not spilling anything at the same time - AFTER a week of 1000mg a day poweful antibiotic combo - WHAT IN HADES?!

So why is it that diseases that don't kill you, aren't contagious, aren't nearly as "common" as websites like to make you feel, and with a MILLION possible causes but very few palpable known causes...aren't researched? So sure, some people have "aphthous ulcers" that fall into the "canker sore" category, and much more common (thanks to herpes simplex) are "cold sores"...but I don't have herpes simplex, or anything else I've been tested for! And its been a while since anyone bothered. They just say "oh, get a Q-tip and clean it out with peroxide". I'd like them to try that one then get back to me.

Sorry, but I had to vent. Its been...a month? Since I got these 3 ulcers - lip, tongue, throat. I've taken anti-biotics, and I think one of them got maginally better, but isn't goign anywhere yet. I couldn't talk really at one point, and its still literally a pain to do so. I've been eating mush. I've been sleeping on a towel. I've been walking around with swollen lips. Swallowing water (and most other liquids - not gonna talk about meal time) is a feat - and after what that antibiotic does, I'm sure I'm dehydrated.


Where are the medical professionals that care???

I don't want more lidocaine, special toothpaste! The damage is done! I WANT TO GET RID OF THEM! I'm supposed to see my doctor if they last more than 2 weeks or occur more than 2 or 3 times a year...I guess I should never leave my doctor then. I went around the 3 or 4 week mark, and that was a bit over a week ago. Hmm...at least my lymph nodes weren't swollen long this time. My ear still hurts though whenever the ulcer in my throat hurts...irritating.

Kudos to my fellow sufferers out there that do so much without batting an eye (like talk, breathe, eat, drink...) and resolve to suffer miserably during or after because your just SO HUNGRY or its been so long since you've had juice, or a long conversation.

At least I can talk again.

I think I just gave myself a headache.

0 comments:

Post a Comment