Finding Jessica

trying to reach that essential plateau of hopeless wonderment associated with achieving the ultimate inspiration...

Thus, on a lighter note, I impart to my friends and readers that this saturday past, I baked a yummy roast for my dear, which he enjoyed (a high commendation, nothing ever seems to be tasteful enough for him :-) ) and which I have also enjoyed, having used NO recipe. It was a pot roast, about 3.5 pounds bought at my local grocery near Hilburn Avenue. I used one container of chicken stock (about 2 cups) and a generous splash of a good, inexpensive Pinot Noir (perhaps 1/2 to 1 cup), and cut up vegetables of his choosing (fresh uncooked carrots - 4 whole, potatoes - 4 whole russet, celery - 3 stalks, 1 onion).

Once everything was cut (oven preheating to 350F) I placed all vegetables and liquid into a large, disposable roasting pan (spreading  the vegetables around the perimeter) and added some olive oil (about a quarter cup) salt, pepper, seasoning salt to the vegetables. Once this was done I rinsed the roast of all excess blood to prevent a distasteful coloring to it (in my opinion) and added the meat to the center of the great pan. I then spooned the mixture of vegetables and liquid over it a number of times, and added a bit more seasoning (of the same above) as well as some dried rosemary (about a tablespoon) and a final splash of the Pinot Noir on top (my favorite wine grape, by the way). I then removed vegetables from the top of the roast to prevent their not being cooked in the liquid.

 - - - - Then we went to see Beastly at the dollar fifty theater on Blue Ridge Road, leaving the food to cook. I rather enjoyed the movie, whichever Olsen twin was in it is making a slow comeback, and the tattoos were beautiful. - - - -

Once back home (about 2 hours later, short movie) I prepared some cabbage (first time for this too) with honey cured ham ( I recommend uncooked, as I didn't realize when purchased that mine was cooked, and therefore didn't lend as much of the ham flavoring), seasoning salt, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar. I really played this one by ear, being perpetually afraid of over-salting and having quite powerful taste buds myself, I prefer to add salt to the finish than be doomed with a salty dish. I must say that the cabbage turned out well, though with a slightly less savory and more vegetable flavor due to the ham being both cooked and cured. Perhaps hamhocks from the farmer's market next time...I saw one booth that was approved by some society or other for humane killing. Kudos.

All in all, a lovely meal, and really tasty leftovers. Think my tongue is still recovering from tasting the meat broth before taking it out...I always forget that I don't feel heat in food until too late, and I had thoroughly burned myself without feeling it until after...don't taste from a spoon out of the oven! (Most people already know this.)

Oh, total cook time for the roast about 3 hours, with the last about half hour at 300F down from 350F. Yummy. Cook time longer or shorter depending on relative size of meat (mine about 3.5 pounds).

Any questions about my recipe, need exact quantities of spices, etc? Feel free to comment and I will reply!


Enjoy!!!

:-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment