Finding Jessica

trying to reach that essential plateau of hopeless wonderment associated with achieving the ultimate inspiration...

Today with ISA we went to the Mirabal Sisters' Museum, located in the last house they lived before they were assassinated and martyred. While we were there we me the last, fourth, and remaining Mirabal sister, Dedé, who is 84 years old and in (almost) perfect health. The story of her sisters is a terrible and wonderful one, and made famous by Julia Álvarez who wrote a historical fiction account of their lives called In the Time of the Butterlies (which is also a movie with a young Salma Hayek playing Minerva Mirabal).
Meeting her and hearing her talk about those times was moving, to say the least. Before I came here I had seen the movie, and it was a story that moves my heart still. I bought her account of their history, a factional rathen than fictional tale, Vivas en su jardín, and she signed it for me! While I was sitting right there next to her! My excitement is incontainable. I have pictures of and with her as well, and of the garden of their last home. It is a story Dedé wants every young person to know, so that the terrible and brute history of the Dominican Republic's dictatorship under Leonidas Trujillo cannot repeat itself.

Trujillo = F*ckface (according to Junot Díaz, famous dominican author of 2 books to date, one a winner of the Pulitzer prize, the one in which he calls Trujillo some awesome stuff. Very fitting.)

This sign is basically the title of Dedé's book, without the "siempre".
A picture of a tiny slice of her garden...their garden.
Busts of the three muertes sisters: Minerva, Patricia, y María Teresa.
Just a crazy picture of me in the garden, I have no idea what I was looking at. It was quite hot...nice and sunny...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Where are my fans from?